Thursday, May 28, 2009
At the core of the Covert is our completely new proprietary tubeset designed in house. The new tubes create a stronger frame with better contact points for welding shock mounts, pivots, and the headtube. In addition to the new tubes the Covert has a one piece CNC'd rocker link to increase stiffness and strength, as well as new dropouts and chainstay/seatstay yokes. All these new features not only add to the aesthetics of the bike but increase strength while shedding weight.
Rear suspension is handled by the Fox RP23 large volume or DHX 5.0 Air. The shock rate on the Covert is slightly progressive with only a 2.8% change throughout the stroke. This allows for consistent feel throughout the travel and allows for easy tuning and setup of the shock. As the Covert goes through it's travel, the leverage decreases slightly and allows the natural progressiveness of the air shock to ramp up and soak up large bumps and hits. This also gives the bike excellent small bump sensitivity and feel at the top of the stroke while allowing the rider to use the travel without a harsh bottom out.
Alongside the Covert's structural refinement, the geometry has progressed to be modeled around a 160mm singlecrown fork, such as a Fox 36 or Lyric instead of the traditional all mountain standard of 140mm. The new geometry maintains the all mountain roots of the old Covert which is very climb friendly and nimble, but gets slackened out just a bit to make room for the larger fork without raising the BB. The result is a do-it-all package for the rider who wants their bike to handle whatever the trail throws at them."
Transtion Bikes - Covert Page
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
The 2009 frame also features a return to full titanium after 2008's carbon seat tube. To maintain the stiffness, the seat tube is now oversized and due to added cunningness is actually lighter than the previous smaller diameter tube. This feature will find it's way onto production Sodas when they return later in the year.
On the Bontrager side, the carbon XXX-Lite seatpost and bars return with fancy 2009 graphics, and the new white finish on the Race X-Lite stem matches the Magura Durin 100SL forks and Marta SL Magnesium brakes perfectly. New for 2009 are the very bling carbon rimmed XXX-Lite wheels which have knocked a chunk of weight off the previously pretty feathery Race X-Lite wheels used for the last two seasons."
Initially designed for a slopestyle life, the Absolut SX is going to show that its range of abilities will be much wider. Modern, compact, light, with a 140mm /5,5inches of travel, it will be as comfortable in a bike park as in a twisty downhill trail. Developed and build with Cédric GRACIA’s input, this bike is extremely reliable and knows how to boogy!
All the secrets of the AbsolutSX
The Absolut SX uses numerous new technical solutions:- Has a great size /stiffness /weight balance ratio.
- The main pivot point of the contact system is located on the bottom bracket, enabling a singlespeed build.
- Conical integrated headtube 1.5 - 1.1/8inches: ideal if you want a 160mm fork.
- New 10mm shock mount axles: Easier to re move and stronger
- New rear dropouts, compatible with the Absolut SX, Absolut AL, Absolut 4X and Meta 4X. This design is stronger and provides more surface area for the hub to press against.
- Allows the use of 10mm, 12mm, 12mm Maxle or Singlespeed hubs. Thicker, stronger, they won’t damage the rear arm if a problem oc curs.
- A dust cap integrates an ISCG mount if you wish to ride with a chainguide and some gears.
- All the pivot points are mounted with sealed cartridge bearings, and nickel cromoly bolts, nicer, much more integrated to the dust caps, avoiding the use of washers.
The Contact System of the Absolut SX
The contact system is updated with an innova tive connection around the bottom bracket.
This set-up offers a rear travel of 140mm /5.5in ches with a shock length of 200mm (shock stroke 57mm)
A few final words
A Slopestyle bike, but well adapted to Dirt Jump, 4X, A-Line Downhill, Dirt Merchant!
- 1 complete bike (14,1kg/31,08lb)
- 1 VIP Frame (3,6kg/7,93lb w/o rear shock)
- Available sizes: Short, Long"